Walter Menning is a Principal in CCG and draws upon an experience base of more than 35 years of managing all major facets of information technology in healthcare. He has served in a broad variety of leadership roles within several of America’s leading academic medical centers. His experience represents the full systems life cycle: requirements definition, vendor evaluation and selection, contract negotiation, and multiple large scale system implementations. He has long-term involvement in IT governance and strategy formulation. His approach has consistently considered the critical balance of capital and people resources necessary to achieve success.
- Midwest Region Vice Chairman for Information Services at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. Walter was the senior information systems administrator within the Mayo Clinic structure. The Information Services Department is a Mayo-wide resource to provide information systems and related services, including application development and support, data center operations, technical advisory services, networked systems and information infrastructure deployment. In collaboration with the Information Technology (IT) committees, the vice chair is responsible for developing, communicating and executing the IT strategic plan and articulating the institution’s information architecture. Major accomplishments include:
- Integration of information staffs of Mayo Clinic, Rochester Methodist Hospital and Saint Marys Hospital into a single organization.
- Implementation of common application base across Mayo provider organizations.
- Creation of IT master plan for migration to electronic health records and a paperless environment.
- Year 2000 remediation and implementation.
- Information systems planning and implementation for new Mayo Clinic Hospitals in Arizona (1998) and Florida (2008).
- Joined Emeritus Staff of Mayo Clinic in July, 2010.
- Assistant Vice President Administrative Affairs-Information Systems at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL. As the senior IT executive, he was responsible for financial, administrative and clinical information systems within one of the largest academic medical centers and healthcare delivery systems in Chicago, IL. Major accomplishments include:
- Implementation of a hospital-wide medical information system.
- Development of case-mix management system to support prospective reimbursement.
- Director of Information Systems at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA. Upon the agreement to merge executed by three Harvard teaching hospitals: Boston Hospital for Women, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and Robert Breck Brigham Hospital, Menning was appointed as the first Director of Information Systems. In this role he guided the merger of information systems staffs within the three hospitals into a single organization and developed the plan to migrate to common systems.
- Systems Engineering and Marketing responsibility for higher education, healthcare, and medical clients in the Greater Boston area including Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard Medical School at International Business Machines, Cambridge, MA.
- Captain in the United States Army. He was commissioned in the Corps of Engineers and served two combat tours of duty in Vietnam with the 25th Infantry Division. He has command experience as a platoon leader and a company commander in a Combat Engineer Battalion. His staff assignments include communications, intelligence, construction management, maintenance and logistics. He was Honorable Discharged with a Bronze Star Medal and Air Medal with Clusters.
- MS in Management – Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
- BS in Engineering – U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY
- Distinguished Graduate. Member of PHI KAPPA PHI
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) Life Fellow (FHIMSS), 2012; Board of Directors, 1998 -2002; Board Chair, 2000-2001.
- Recipient, John E. Gall Jr. CIO of the Year Award, 1997; HIMSS Leadership Award, 2002.
- College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) Charter Member
- Society of Information Management, Minnesota Chapter
- Healthcare Information Systems Executive Association (HISEA), Executive Committee, 1994-1996; Chair 1996.
1705 Hiawatha Court NE, Rochester, MN 55906