Mr. Roth is a Principal in CCG. He is an innovative and dynamic healthcare technology professional with a focus and passion for improving organizational performance through the use of systems, technology and process. As Vice President and Chief Information Officer at a multi-facility health system, responsible for a broad spectrum of the organization’s operations in addition to Informatics. As a Partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, responsible for the Firm’s Northeast Healthcare Provider Technology Practice and the National eHealth Practice, with a demonstrated ability to develop service lines, cultivate clients, and deliver high quality, results oriented consulting services.
Reporting to the CEO of a $1 billion, five hospital, Magnet® designated health system, was responsible for all strategic and operational aspects of the Informatics, Health Information Management (Medical Records), Telecommunications, Biomedical Engineering, Physical Plant and Facilities Operations (Plant Operations) and Mail Services Departments and functions. Operating responsibility included combined operating budget as high as $49 Million and 310 FTEs. Delivered a high value, extremely cost effective information systems infrastructure as the result of accomplishments which included, but were not limited to:
- In collaboration with service line and clinical leaders, developed and executed a vendor neutral Information Systems strategy to position Pinnacle for past and future success including successfully operating in a Value Based Contracting and Accountable Care Organization delivery model
- Leveraged Informatics as a strategic investment and organizational change agent to enhance clinical quality, patient outcomes, and financial performance contributing to Pinnacle receiving numerous clinical quality awards and realizing significant increases in profitability from 2009 through 2014
- Implemented and sustained new technology Governance process to increase senior executive involvement in the technology planning, prioritization and resource allocation processes. Transformed the Informatics function to a proactive, consultative and customer service focused function delivering clinical and business efficiency and value.
- Developed business concept and plan to both expand Pinnacle’s market presence and improve physician relationships through the implementation of a regional, private Health Information Exchange (HIE), a Managed Services Organization (MSO) offering various technology services to private physician practices, and regional telemedicine and telemonitoring services. All initiatives exceeded return on investment, customer acquisition and profitability projections.
- Actively managed implementations and upgrades of numerous enterprise-level and departmental clinical, financial and administrative systems resulting in the replacement of a majority of Pinnacle’s information systems portfolio, with a near 100% rate of on-time, on-budget projects.
- Achieved Stage 6 Certification on the HIMSS Hospital EMR Adoption Model, an “A” rating for CPOE and Clinical System Use in Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scoresm, and recognized as a “Most Wired Health System” by Hospitals and Health Networks in 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Renegotiated preexisting contract for outsourced IS support resulting in a projected cost savings of $21.7M over the remaining agreement term while simultaneously increasing resource levels assigned by outsourcer
- Developed and executed strategy for Business Intelligence and Predictive Analytics/Data Modeling including real-time clinical and operational dashboards which have become core components of Pinnacle’s operational efficiency, clinical quality, population health and patient wellness initiatives
- (Re)Negotiated numerous large and small systems, technology and telecommunications related contracts resulting in both increased vendor performance and expense reduction
- Identified and collaborated with two startup technology design and development Firms resulting in successful product development and implementation at Pinnacle, product commercialization and market acceptance
- Defined and established technology driven operational models for the Health Information Management (Medical Records), Biomedical Engineering and Telecommunications functions resulting in improved performance and expense reduction across these departments
Practice Leader for PricewaterhouseCoopers’s Northeast Healthcare Information Technology Provider Practice and National eHealth Practice Leader. Provided services to both payer and provider organizations, including defining the Firm’s healthcare systems and technology related service offerings, generation of new business and client opportunities, and delivery of client services and solutions. Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver high quality, results oriented information management and healthcare provider operations and consulting services across various technology and performance improvement disciplines.
- As a Partner with PricewaterhouseCoopers, responsible for generation and delivery of technology related consulting services in the health care industry. Specific revenue goals were exceeded or achieved in each year and averaged over $4,500,000 annually over four and a half years as a Partner.
- Grew and managed a Practice of 20-25 resources prior to the separation and sale of PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Consulting business unit to IBM Business Consulting Services. Subsequent to the divestiture of PwC Consulting, maintained Practice size and developed numerous sub-contractor relationships to allow continued delivery of broad-based services in the healthcare information technology marketplace.
- Consistently ranked among the top 10% of Partners firm wide for both client satisfaction survey and employee upward feedback ratings.
- Served as project manager or maintained overall project responsibility for numerous enterprise-wide and departmental information system implementations for virtually all clinical, financial and administrative functions in a healthcare provider setting. Clients and vendors achieved high levels of resultant value from the implementations through the establishment of collaborative implementation teams and process redesign.
- Provided Interim CIO support to a four hospital, 937 bed Integrated Delivery Network (IDN) including consolidation of the four autonomous Information Technology Departments into a shared, corporate service entity and overall project management for the enterprise Hospital Information System implementation.
- Negotiated IT Outsourcing Contracts including Performance/Non-Performance Clauses and Service Level Agreements that were considered mutually beneficial by the involved vendors and clients.
- Provided product market viability and implementation process assessments for two of the leading hospital information systems vendors.
- Provided leadership in the development of a Program Management Office (PMO) at several organizations including a large, national health insurance company and a multi-state healthcare provider, resulting in rapid and successful program activation and increased senior management project status awareness for the respective projects.
- Provided systems performance assessment and long-term strategic systems and network planning services across the spectrum of health care providers including multi-state, multi-hospital organizations, large urban teaching facilities, community hospitals and rehabilitation and long-term care corporations
- Led numerous public and private sector system and technology selection projects and negotiation of short and long-term vendor contracts with numerous healthcare and industry independent vendors
- Maintained overall responsibility for the Information Technology component of a multi-faceted engagement at a .COM payer start-up that included idea incubation, business model definition, business process design, and IT Infrastructure Design and Development.
Mr. Roth’s clients have included:
- Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network
- Johns Hopkins Health System – Bayview Medical Center
- HealthStar Network (now Stellaris Health Network)
- The Brooklyn Hospital Center
- Trinitas Hospital
- Kessler Rehabilitation Corporation
- Veterans Health Administration
- Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
- Eclipsys Corporation
- Temple University Health System
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- McKesson Corporation
- The Methodist Hospital (Houston, TX)
- Victory Memorial Hospital
- Aetna/US Healthcare
Education and Professional Affiliations:
MBA, Finance, Baruch College, The City University of New York, New York, NY BBA, Information Processing, The George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Professional Affiliations
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
- President, Jewish Federation of Greater Harrisburg (2012-2013) – Board Chairperson equivalent for a not-for-profit charitable organization with a total operating budget of $3.5M+ and 25+ FTEs. Organization operates an 800+ member community center and Early Childhood Development Center for 80+ Pre-Kindergarten children. Led an operations and financial turnaround including active management of operations, recruiting of new Executive Director, and creation of strategy and plan which increased charitable contributions by over $1M from pre-2012 levels. Currently Immediate Past President responsible for Trustee recruitment.
- Vice President and Board Executive Committee Member, The Jewish Home and Residence of Greater Harrisburg.
2405 Kensington Way, Harrisburg, PA 17112
Telephone: 201-400-5945 or 717-541-8142