Frank Cavanaugh formed and is a Principal in CCG and was the Principal-in-Charge of the Strategic Information Technology Planning Division of PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Health Care Consulting Services Practice prior to his retirement in August of 2000. Based in Chicago, he has over 40 years experience in the health care information technology industry. He has extensive experience in the use of automation in health care, having worked as a manager of information systems for a hospital group and with three HIS vendors prior to his 21 years with PricewaterhouseCoopers. He offers clients a broad industry perspective on the health care information technology market and the needs of health care users.
- Provided consulting to integrated delivery systems and managed care organizations including Guthrie Health System, Jewish Health Care System, Nebraska Health System, Medco Behavioral Care Corporation, PeaceHealth Inc., Austin Medical Clinic & St. Olaf Hospital-Mayo Health System, St. John Medical Group, P.C., Luther Midelfort-Mayo Health System, Tarrant County Mental Health Mental Retardation Services, Dallas County Hospital District and ChinAlliance (a consortium of nine health care information systems and communications companies serving the Metro Chicago CHIN).
- Provided consulting to many university-based medical centers including, the University of Chicago Hospitals, University of Cincinnati, Dallas County Hospital District, Indiana University, The Johns Hopkins, Partners Health System (Mass. General & Brigham and Womens), University of Kentucky, Northwestern University, University of Pennsylvania, Tampa General, Thomas Jefferson, University of Texas (M.D. Anderson), Tulane, and University Healthcare Consortium as well as many community and public hospitals.
- Provided consulting to hospital groups including the Archdiocese of Newark, Baptist Memorial Health Care System, Inc. (Memphis), Baylor Health Care System, Fairview Health Corporation, Harris Methodist Health System, Presbyterian Health Care Systems (Dallas and Albuquerque), Samaritan Health Care System, Sacred Heart Health System and Sisters of Charity Health Care System (Cincinnati), Sisters of Mercy Health Corporation (Farmington Hills, MI), and Daughters of Charity (Eastern Province).
- Provided e-Health strategy consulting to the University of Chicago Hospitals and Catholic Healthcare Partners.
- Worked with international clients including the Vatican; U.S. Department of Commerce in Beijing, China; and The Ministries of Health in Hong Kong, Singapore and Manitoba, Canada.
- Has spoken, published and consulted on the use of repository technology to accomplish the creation of computer based patient record systems. Mr. Cavanaugh has assisted clients in designing information architectures that address the continuum of care issues faced by integrated delivery systems.
- Provided consultation to major information systems vendors in the design of health care information systems.
- Provided litigation support to hospitals and vendors, both as an expert witness and as an independent arbiter.
- Conducted long-range information systems planning projects for over 50 health care organizations. These plans match business objectives to information technology requirements and provide a blueprint for information systems investments.
- Assisted health care management teams prioritize information technology investment opportunities. This work included defining potential information technology projects, identifying executive champions for major project initiatives, describing each projects value in business terms, developing an effective ranking process and facilitating the decision making process.
- Managed a health care software development group that provided products to over 500 health care providers and fiscal intermediaries.
- Conducted operations improvement reviews at various health care organizations. These studies provided specific recommendations for the more effective utilization of the existing information systems.
- Installed shared computer systems in more than 15 hospitals. This activity included education, decision implication guidance and project management.
- Advisory Board, HL7 Standards Organization (1993-1996)
- American Association of Healthcare Consultants (AAHC)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- Past Editorial Advisory Board Member of Health Management Technology Magazine
- Mr. Cavanaugh has spoken on Health Care Information Systems for various professional organizations including:
- The Academic Practice Association of the MGMA;
- Healthcare Financial Management Association;
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation;
- The National Association of Health Care Consultants,
- The Healthcare CIO Symposium;
- Image Capable Advanced Clinical Information Systems Conference;
- The Informed Conference;
- The Bedside Computing Conference and Expo;
- PacBell Health Fair;
- ProTech 95
- HIMSS, as well as for many HIS suppliers and integrated delivery systems.
- He was a guest panelist on Health Information Technology Network (HITN), a cable television network, concerning the topic of “Health Care Information: Interfacing vs. Integration.”
- He has authored two book chapters:
- Controller’s – Information System Responsibilities in the Healthcare Controller’s Manual: Warren, Gorham and Lomont, 1996 and 1997 Editions
- The Technology Issues chapter of The Comprehensive Guide to Electronic Health Records, Faulkner and Gray, 1997 and 1998 Editions.
- He has led the development and analysis of two annual H/C IT surveys.
- Modern Healthcare Magazine’s annual survey of executive opinions on the use of Information Technology (1989-2000) and
- Modern Physician magazine’s annual survey of physician executive opinions on the use of Information Technology (1998-2000).
- He is frequently quoted and his published articles have appeared in leading health care trade publications.
- Mr. Cavanaugh has served as a manuscript reviewer for HFMA Journal, Healthcare Financial Management, and provided input to the Health Care Advisory Board for the publication, Superlative Clinical Quality.
19111 Collins Avenue Apt 208 Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160
708-645-1235 Office 708-267-8584 Cell