Gordon Brown is a principal in CCG. Dr. Brown provides consultation on the power of information technology as a source of clinical and organizational knowledge and as a basis for transforming and integrating processes and structures. He can help guide the transformation of traditional organizations to accountable care organizations through collaborative networks and communities of practice, and in so doing increase market agility. He has considerable experience in developing training programs and working with teams to help re-define and enhance professional roles and relationships
His career orientation is exploring the transforming power of information technology as the basis for integrating health services. He has focused on loosely-coupled, integrated health systems, starting with his doctoral research on Planning and Development of Regional Health Programs in a Federal System, published in 1971. His career includes appointment as Scientist with the World Health Organization, Division of Epidemiology and Communications Science working on developing models for health system integration. The Division consisted of clinicians, mathematical modelers and systems theorists. His work on health systems design continued with an academic appointment in the Program in Health Planning and Administration, Division of Community Systems Planning and Development at the Pennsylvania State University where he was Director of the doctoral program. He served as Chairman of the Department of Health Management and Informatics, School of Medicine, at the University of Missouri that developed the first integrated health informatics and health management graduate programs and established the Center for Health Care Quality. The Department carried out an extensive program of consulting projects through Health Management and Informatics Group and graduate student Executive Management Studies in Midwestern hospitals and health systems.
- Professional Leadership Roles:
- Consultant, King Fahad Specialty Hospital, Dammam, Saudi Arabia. 2011 to present
- Director, Center for Health Care Quality, School of Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Scientist, Division of Research in Epidemiology and Communications Science, World Health Organization, Cali, Colombia, S.A.
- Chairman, Department of Health Management and Informatics, School of Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Chairman, Graduate Program in Community Systems Planning and Development, College of Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Head, Program in Health Planning and Administration, College of Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Chairman, Faculty Advisory Committee, Member, Executive Committee, National Center for Managed Health Care Administration, University of Missouri.
- Director, International Healthcare Management and Leadership Program, University of Missouri,
- Chairman of the Governing Council, Network for Healthcare Management, (15 University Consortium in Health Management.
- United States Army, Captain, Field Artillery, Erlangen Germany.
- Selected Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Brown GD, Patrick TB, and Pasupathy KS, (2012). Health Informatics: A Systems Approach. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- Khatri N, Hicks L, and Brown GD. (2010) The Crucial Role of People and Information in Health Care Organizations, Health Affairs
- Khatri, N., Beveja, A., Agrawal, N., & Brown G. (2010) HR and IT complementarities in knowledge-intensive services. International Journal of Human Resources Management. 21(15): 2888-2908.
- Khatri, N., Brown, G., & Hicks, L. (2009). Moving from a blame culture to a just culture in health care. Health Care Management Review, 34(4): 312-322
- Khatri N, Alok B, AgrawaL, Brorwn GD. (2009) HR and IT Capacities and Complementarities in Knowledge-Intensive Services. International Journal of Human Resources Management.
- Parker JC, Hart E, Brown GD (2008). “Health Care and Rehabilitation in America” in Health Care Communication in the New Media Landscape. New York NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Brown GD, Bopp KD, Boren SA. (2005) Assessing Communications Effectiveness in Meeting Corporate Goals of Public Health Organizations. Journal of Health and Human Services. 2005; 28(2):159-188.
- Brown GD, Stone TT, Patrick TB (2005). Strategic Management of Information Systems in Healthcare. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- Stone TT, Brown GD, Mantese A. (2005) Executive Management Studies: The Application of Real-Time Science in Health Administration Education. Journal of Health Administration Education. 2005; 22(3):299-319.
- Khatri N, Patrick TB, Boren SA, Brown GD. (2004) Medical Errors and Quality of Care: A Commitment-based Approach. 2004 Academy of Management Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. August 9, 2004.
- Schopp LH, Hales JW, Quetsch JL, Hauan MJ, Brown GD. (2004) Design of a Peer-to-Peer Telerehabilitation Model. Telemedicine Journal and eHealth. 2004;10(2):243-251.
- Schopp LH, Hales JW, Brown GD, Quetsch JL. (2003) A Rationale and Training Agenda for Rehabilitation Informatics: Roadmap for an Emerging Discipline. NeuroRehabilitation, 18 (2003) 159-170.
- Hales JW, Quetsch JL, Schopp LH, Brown GD (2003). Application of Peer-to-Peer Networking to Health Care. In Krishna S, Balas EA, Boren SA (Eds.), Information Technology Business Models for Quality Health Care (pp. 141-146). Amsterdam: IOS Press.
- Balas EA. Weingarten S. Garb CT. Blumenthal D. Boren SA. Brown GD. “Improving preventive care by prompting physicians.” [Journal Article. Meta-Analysis] Archives of Internal Medicine. 160(3):301-8, 2000 Feb 14. http://www.muhealth.org/~library/resources/ejournals.html
- Editors: Balas EA, Boren SA, Brown GD. “Information Technology Strategies from the United States and the European Union. Transferring Research to Practice for Health Care Improvement.” IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2000.
- Balas EA, Su KC, Solem JF, Li RZ, Brown GD. “Upgrading clinical decision-support with published evidence: What can make the biggest difference?” In MEDINFO; Eds: Cesnik B, McCray AT, Scherrer JR; IOS Press, Amsterdam, 1998.
- Balas EA, Austin SM, Mitchell JA, Ewigman BG, Bopp KD, Brown GD. “The Clinical Value of Computerized Information Services: A Review of 98 Randomized Clinical Trials.” In van Bemmel JH, McCray AT (Eds) Yearbook of Medical Informatics. Schattauer, Stuttgart, 1997.
- Brown, Gordon E. “Chapter 13: Independent Practice Associations,” in Conners, Ronald, Integrating the Practice of Medicine. Chicago, IL: American Hospital Publishing, Inc. 1997
- Brown, Gordon E. “Consumer-Oriented Managed Care: Oxymoron or New Direction?” Frontiers of Health Services Management, Vol. 14, No. 1, Fall 1997
- Balas, E. Andrew, Jaffrey, Farah, Kuperman, Gil J., Austin Boren, Suzanne, Brown, Gordon D., Pinciroli, Francesco, and Mitchell, Joyce A. “Electronic Communication with Patients: Evaluation of Distance Medicine Technologies,” Journal of American Medical Association.
- JAMA 1997;278:152-159
- Balas, E. Andrew, Boren, Suzanne Austin, Brown, Gordon D., Ewigman, Bernard G., Mitchell, Joyce A., and Perkoff, Gerald T., “Effect of Physician Profiling on Utilization of Clinical Procedures: A Multi-level Meta-analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, Vol. 11, No. 10, p. 584-590, October 1996.
- Balas, E. Andrew, Austin, Suzanne M., Mitchell, Joyce A., Ewigman, Bernard G., Bopp, Kenneth D., Brown, Gordon D. “The Clinical Value of Computerized Information Services: A Review of 98 Randomized Clinical Trials,” Archives of Family Medicine, 1996, 5:271-8.
- Selected Invited Papers:
- The Relationship Between Information Architecture and Strategy. King Abdullah International Research Center, Dammam Saudi Arabia, June, 2013.
- Health Systems Informatics: From Automation to Transformation, HIM conference – Towards e-HIM: Current Situation and Future Direction, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, October, 2010.
- Annual Summer Symposium on Building Knowledge for the Leadership of Improvement of Health Care. Sponsored by Dartmouth Medical School held in Fairlee, Vermont, 2004-2006.
- Invited speaker on teaching health informatics in health services management programs, Association of University Programs in Health Administration’s Annual Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts. June 2005.
- Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation’s 2004 Summer Symposium on Building Knowledge for the Leadership of Improvement of Health Care. Dartmouth Medical School, Fairlee, Vermont. July 2004.
- Presented “Integrated Informatics Degree Program” at the Association of University Programs in Health Administration’s (AUPHA) Annual Meeting in San Diego, California. June 2004.
- “The Implications of Consumer Informatics on Health Systems Structure” (Brown G, Hales J, Schopp L, Quetsch J) – Winter Course at La Laguna University in Tenerife, the Canary Islands. Spain 2002.
- “The Impact of Managed Care on Health System Design and the Role of Management” Latin American Conference of Health Administration Education, Santiago, Chile, W.K. Kellogg Foundation. June 1996.
- Visiting Scholar: presented Executive Seminar on Managed Care, Executive Program in Health Management, ORT University, Uruguay. October 1994.
- Seminar on Managed Care in an Academic Medical Center; Presented to School of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Egypt, August 1994.
- “Managed Care: Track or Field?” Session Leader of symposium at Annual Meeting of Association of University Programs in Health Administration, Washington, DC, April 16, 1993.
- “The Role of Hospital Management in National Health System Development,” invited paper, Indonesian Medical Association Annual Meeting, Jakarta, Indonesia, September 1985.
- “Redefining the Public Health Approach to Management” the National Council for International Health, on Improving the Management of Developing Countries, July 1984, Washington, DC
- “Developing Health Administration Curriculum by Assessing Management Needs,” presented at the 1st International Course on Education for Health Services Administration, Lisbon, Portugal, June 1981.
- B.S., Iowa State University, Industrial Administration
- M.A., University of Iowa, Hospital and Health Administration
- Ph.D., University of Iowa, Hospital and Health Administration
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- American College of Health Care Administrators (Fellow)
- Medical Group Management Association
- Association of Health Services Research
1398 West High Point Lane, Columbia, MO 65203
Telephone: 573 881-1251 Cellular